Tuesday, January 16, 2007

O'Reilly to commit career suicide

Against all reason, Bill O'Reilly has agreed to appear on The Colbert Report this Thursday, and he's let Stephen Colbert appear on The O'Reilly Factor. What could he possibly be thinking?

Well, maybe he's thinking that The Colbert Report is serious again. I wouldn't put it past him.

On the other hand, judging by his past actions, O'Reilly does seem to have a tendency to make the worst possible publicity move. Maybe he just decided it's been long enough since he made a complete ass of himself.

This isn't to say I'm not gleeful that this is happening, I'm just slightly baffled. Ah well, not that it matters. Fare thee well, Bill O'Reilly's career.

4 comments:

Bronze Dog said...

I love my DVR. I have a feeling I'll be loving it even more, soon.

Anonymous said...

Crap. It snuck up on me, like the Science Blogging Conference.

I missed it!

How'd it go?

Infophile said...

Well, I only caught the part on The Colbert Report. We don't get Fox News up here in Canada. No demand for it, apparently. Odd, that.

What I saw wasn't really that great. O'Reilly was in a snit the whole time, and just sat there being rude. No actual argumentation went on, despite Colbert's best prods.

My guess is that he just realized after whatever happened on his show that he couldn't beat Colbert, so he just gave up. I did some thinking about it, and I realized that he actually could have beaten Colbert if he were willing to dip his toe into the fiction a bit.

For instance, he could have brought up some of the aspects of The Colbert Report that are intentionally self-contradictory as if he were concerned that Colbert didn't know it. Take, for example, Colbert's calling O'Reilly "Papa bear" despite his immense hatred of bears. If O'Reilly had gone down that path, he would have looked a lot better.

Don said...

I predicted that there were very good odds O'Reilly would start yelling at one point, and was quite disappointed to find him so...utterly boring. All there was was the usual "culture war" nonsense and jabs at "secular progressives." The only really good part was when Bill claimed to be playing a character on TV, and Stephen said "Bill...If you're a character, then what am I?"