Sunday, November 12, 2006

Lighting the Fires of War

The article in my campus newspaper a while back which took the benefits of organic foods for granted has now been joined by another woo-full article. This one is on all the benefits of yoga, which can apparently cure asthma, among many other things. I can see it possibly reducing stress, and a few other effects stemming from that, but asthma!? Now they're just pushing it.

So, with that in mind, the message is clear: The students on this campus are in desperate need of some rational thought to counter the influx of woo. Therefore, I'm going to be applying for a column in the paper for the upcoming term, and hopefully I'll be able to make an impact.

Now, this column of course won't be aimed at the same level as my blog. Here, some of my most popular stuff is where I give tips and advice to others in their debating. Sometimes I'll also pick up subjects that others have missed (one of my main goals is to not be redundant). But for this column, I'm going straight to the base of skepticism, and will be addressing an audience composed almost entirely of skeptical laymen.

For the application, I'm going to have to come up with three sample articles (which may likely become my opening articles to the column), and I'll be working on these primarily for the next few weeks. This means that my normal updates will be delayed a bit. But don't worry too much, I'll be posting these and any other articles I end up writing up on my blog eventually under the logic of "Why not?"

And of course, if anyone has any suggestions for topics that you think should be addressed, please let me know (I know there are at least a few students on campus who have come by here). So you know, my first article is going to be on Homeopathy, which, with Head On being advertised constantly, is certainly relevant.

No comments: